Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shushi.

So, I learned how to make sushi about 2 weeks ago and have made it already four or five times. This was the first time I've been able to make inside-out rolls with the rice on the outside. So that was pretty exciting. (small victories these days.) I would say sushi is probably my favourite food and for a vegan it's easy to whip up interesting alternatives to traditional rolls at a fraction of the cost. I'm not going to tell you how to make these because the recipe is posted many places. Here's one such posting if you want to make them yourself. Other than that I'm just here to brag about how good my lunch was. (But if you have questions I'll be happy to attempt to answer them, just let me know!)

DSC06319
The making of...

DSC06324

DSC06328

If you don't believe how good they were take as evidence this photo of Davis clearing his plate as we watch tv on our computer. Just a little glimpse into our life. You're welcome.
DSC06332

6 comments:

  1. om nom nom. we love making sushi at home too. but inari is a new one. where'd you get the puffed tofu for that?
    also what kind of sauce/dressing did you put on ^?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inari pouches we bought at Fairway near the tofu and it comes with everything you need to make it. I think you can also buy it canned and it is less expensive but I haven't seen it yet. I'm guessing a Japanese grocery store would probably carry them. You can also make them from puffed tofu.

    The sauce is "spicy mayo" and the recipe is included in the recipe for the spicy tempeh in the link. It was a nice way to add a little zip to the sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so unfamiliar with cooking tempeh. A spicy mayo sauce sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps-what are you watching?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly tempeh needs to be boiled a bit to take out the bitter taste. This recipe called for it to be steamed and it turns it into a sort of tuna salad like substance with what's mixed into it.

    http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-spicy-tempeh-sushi-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. There we are watching a show called "Psych". It isn't all that great but we're out of shows what with Davis being home all day right now and me being a beached whale.

    ReplyDelete